Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Life on earth and other unstable concepts

I expect it's conjuring trouble to name your blog after a doomed dirigible.

But then, I get up in the morning, guzzle coffee and hustle out into the world - oblivious to the fact that I am situated on a ball of dirt which is hurtling through space at .29 miles per second and has molten lava at its center. Usually, while I'm checking my watch, locking my door, preparing for the day ahead, I am blissfully unaware of my flea-like size and importance, not to mention my mortality.

The mere act of being alive and incarnate is inviting trouble, so let's not be spooked by a little word association.

And if I tell you the quote about the Hindenburg under the title was sent to me by a friend who was describing my personal life and habit of writing about it - that should tell you more than you'd learn from the usual list we use to pigeon hole each other (so that we can immediately stop paying attention.)

You know the list: what-do-you-do, where-do-you-live, favorite musicTVbooksfilms.

Why do we do that? Surely it would be more interesting to know what someone wants carved on their tombstone when they depart this ball of hurtling mud. Or what was the most inappropriate thought they've ever had.

Alright. There's a start. I want Cowgirl of the century. This on the suggestion of the same friend who provided the Hindenburg quote and who has kindly consented to spray-paint graffiti on my grave marker.

As for inappropriate thoughts...

Years ago, I was coming home from work on a beautiful Friday in August. My walk took me through the petting zoo at Riverdale Park, down a steep set of stairs that led to a footpath over the Don Valley Parkway. Although it was a lazy summer afternoon, I was wary because there had recently been a brutal rape in the city - at noon - in a city park. And this particular afternoon, the park was empty of its usual scores of baseball teams, dog walkers and after work athletes.

As I got halfway down the steps, a jogger suddenly appeared - and hauled up to a dead stop at the bottom of the stairs. I stopped short too - then, because he resembled a friend of mine, I relaxed a little.
"Are there animals up there?" he yelled out. What? Oh.
"There's a petting zoo up the path, if you keep going."
"...Because there's none down here," he shouted, like it was the punchline of a joke. He turned around to run back in the direction he'd come from.

Very weird, I thought.

A minute later, when I got to the short path that led to the bridge, he was standing there enthusiastically masturbating. In my direction. And for my entertainment. Did I think, Run! Now!...? No. I stood there, cemented to the ground, thinking...

A simple "you look nice today would've done."

17 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 , Blogger herhimnbryn said...

Hallo............waving from over here to over there!

I hope he didn't get any petting!

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 , Blogger chuck said...

Epitaph:

"Une famille sur la terre...la famille humaine..."

Inappropriate thought: "I can think in any mode I please..."

New blogs are new beginnings: GOOD LUCK! and GOOD WISHES!

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 , Blogger Cate said...

I do not fully understand the need for you to move your blog (did I miss some news?) but I always want to encourage your writing.

By the way, You like nice today.

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 , Blogger beadbabe49 said...

just so long as you're posting somewhere!

on my tombstone...Late Fragment by Ray Carver...

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

H - I ended up with a group of tough little 12 year-old body guards who were fooling around at a nearby pond. They walked me across the bridge, making mighty threats about what they'd do if they caught him. I had spotted them messing around at the pond to my left and asked them to go get the police, but they thought they could handle it. By the time we set out he'd fled. They were smart enough to check the park bathrooms on the other side, too. When they got me to the main road, one turned to me and said, in a slightly condescending voice, "Do you think you'll be alright now, lady?"
But no. No petting. It just wasn't an approach that invited petting. Besides, he was taking care of that.

Thanks Jamie. Just a switch due to the unrealiability of Blogger Alpha. Still here!

KD. Read back. Alpha version of blogger is really tottering and crumbling. And there are problems with transfer of current blogs, apparently.

Yes you can Chuck! Which is why you are fun to read. And thank you.

Ok BB. A poem? Although "Late Fragment" would work by itself!

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 , Blogger Mary said...

A good thought to start a new blog with the Sun just approaching natal Mars. And what appropriate subject matter :-). Heh.

Welcome to you new home, my dear friend.

(.... though like KD I have missed the buzz about Blogger. And I don't know if I am Old Blogger or New Blogger. How does one find out??? Should I be worried???)

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I love that one, how comes it I'm just hearing it now?

Nice new digs, man.

Oh, the term "Late Fragment" is a poem just by itself.

-marko

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 , Blogger Zhoen said...

(o)

 
At Friday, August 25, 2006 , Blogger Vita said...

Hello over here. As you can see, I've come just down the street to visit. Yaa. Rescue kids. Bravo. I wonder what other adventures you will have now you've moved?

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 , Blogger Mella said...

You know, I disappear from the blogosphere for a short time and look what happens...

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

Marko...likely, your heart was broken or you were in love or had just discovered God or the absence of God or the toilet was overflowing in your apartment and they were about to kick you out of art college. So, probably, I just forgot to mention this one.
:)
Zhoen..thanks.
Vita...Bravely venturing out, huh?
See! It wasn't a long walk!

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

Mella, you're wired and back...speaking of changes. Nice to hear from you.

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 , Blogger Cate said...

There are many things that I like about this new blogger. To start with, the dates (and not just times) of each comment are listed. Also, I like the way that the posts are listed with little arrows that become lists.

I love the description of your muse. I know that my muse has similar traits. Mine runs wild, checks in to rehab (and is missing for long stretched of time), then comes out to live sober for a little while. Yet, she can only do "one day ay a time" for only so long. She gradually ramps up to running wild then the whole process starts over.

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

Thanks KD. Are you intending to continue blogging? If so, I'll list your link. I've left off some favorites because they've gone silent (for now, anyway).

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 , Blogger beadbabe49 said...

sorry, I should have posted all of it...

Late Fragment
by Raymond Carver

And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth.

 
At Sunday, September 03, 2006 , Blogger phlegmfatale said...

5th attempt involved me setting up a beta account. Let's see if this works - but logging out of my other account and into this one just to comment seems like a lot of trouble - I don't understand why their systems wouldn't be compatible and universal. Grrr.

 
At Sunday, September 03, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

Hi Phlegmy. I know, I know. But making them compatible might have been easier for us. So, you know..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home