Friday, September 01, 2006

Lots of words, no theme, but no one dies either.



It's 8:09 p.m. and how that happened, I'll never know. I got up at 5:oo this morning, started beading a Victorian style bracelet, stopped to wash, condition, rinse, dry and iron my hair - and by then it was noon and I was starving. I made a Balanced Breakfast. Eggs, a tomato, carrot & orange juice, whole grain toast, then I resumed work on the bracelet (which, I might add, kept growing details I hadn't planned originally).

So, it's 8:09 p.m. now and I'm eating nacho pieces from the bottom of the bag and washing them down with red wine. This is known as an Unbalanced Lupper (Lunch/supper) - or I-start-out-with-sensible intentions-but-crap-out-the-minute-I'm-obsessing.

No one I know died today. I didn't listen to the news. The sun shone. One Scorpio friend called to chat. Another recently left a cranky voice mail demanding to know how many damn times my phone actually rang before voice mail clicked in. The talk with Scorpio A was fun, the message from Scorpio B has had me snickering for days. What was that darling? Duty call? Oh for gawdsake, let's have the voice mail before she answers and I'm stuck talking on the phone! And friend coyo emails, so I am happily informed that he is not dead, he's just working on the great American Indian Novel. All is well inside the Hindenburg.

Back to the bracelet. While I stitched I thought about how difficult it is to sell work because of the flood of beadwork from the third world - where people are paid approximately two cents an hour. I don't begrudge those far-off beaders a livelihood by any means, but they are the Wal-mart of craft. No one wants to pay for 8 to 40 hours of North American labor when they can get something that kind of looks the same for $3.00. And I suspect that the people buying their stuff are not exactly practicing fair trade principals either.

Meanwhile, I'm driven to attempting to hit the "art" market. It's the only way I can make a small living doing what I love. (What I love besides writing, I mean - in that case, I can make no living and die for art). It's ok. I'd rather do one-off than production any day...but this whole art thing requires sacrifice, you know. I have to attend openings. I have to be nice. I have to pay professional photographers who hate me for being such a techno-boob. I have to write resumes and artist statements that exceed, "I really like beading. Leave me alone." Yang, yang. I'm honored actually to be asked for all this tedious stuff I hate having to make up. And the last opening was interesting. But.

Wal-mart. I am ashamed to say I buy things from Wal-mart. Why? Because the products are cheaper than the equivilent and better-made Canadian-made products and I can't afford my own principals. I do, however, hate them for their takeover of the world and their explotation - which means I am adrift between the need to consume a few things while incurring less expense and the icky feeling that I am contributing to...

Us becoming a society of consumers who are not-so-slowly forgetting how to do anything and everything for ourselves. When I grew up (restrain yourselves here, people) - I was taught what were basic lifeskills at the time. Cooking (no microwaves) and sewing (hand and machine) among them. How to dye shoes when you were stuck for an occasion. How to - hang on - darn socks. That's right - darn socks. Not throw them out. Fix them. Shoe and appliance repair was not a foreign concept either. I could knit (badly) at age 11. I could hem a skirt. I saved up for things I needed. I knew how to hang wet laundry on a clothesline, wax a floor with actual wax and use a ringer washer. I could amuse myself without television. Really. It's true.

We are becoming a society of helpless boobs. Everything is done for us - and cheaply too - which is where the trap lies. Here's another admission - I buy that cheap beadwork. I bought, for example, an ankle cuff. I was in a devil-may-care mood last summer, so I plunked down my six bucks and put the thing on. A block later, I had this tickling sensation on my foot. And there was my ankle bracelet, trailing beads behind me as it disintigrated. The revenge of the slave-wage worker.

My point? Damned if I know. I'm just happy to be bleating on, considering the prospect of three more days to call my very own. I'm wearing the bracelet with a shitty old T-shirt and tights.
I'm a happy woman. I'd be even happier if you visited my bead blog and clicked on the pictures with the white backgrounds that I've bought and almost finished paying for.

Or. You could just blow it off and go to Wal-mart instead.

12 Comments:

At Saturday, September 02, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duty call?! Pffft lady...

And I wasn't bitching, or being any more cranky than usual, it was just that the phone really did ring over twenty times before I got to your voicemail. Really, I mean, 45 seconds before you can leave a message? WTF? I gotta life to live here man!

Now, I'm glad all is well in the Hindensphere.

As far as this artmaking thing goes, willkommen ein our little shitty world of constantly having to convince people that our idea is worth investing in, then making it (which is usually a heady blend of expense, frustration, and monotony), and then having to defend it's existence for the rest of your goddamned life. Fun!

But you do it because you can't seem to not do it. I spent hours this week writing a proposal, thinking to myself, "How different is this from having an enthusiastic go at myself in a park anyway?"
It's a difficult thing to rationalize a lot of the time.

"Helpless boobs" True, true... and yep, it's cheap to get that crap, but everything costs about the same, so if you're not paying for it, someone else is. It's the same here, I get my toilet paper at the shitshop, and you can be sure that every forty trips to the can for me equals an acre of rainforest.

Your point, DOB, is that the body politic is the hand we've got to play. Play well, play constantly. Eat it all, repair it until is disintegrates entirely, clean and maintain it often, re-use it creatively, pay a little more for it if it was made/grown locally.

And so on. Works well in the self-respect dept. and keeps you honest, far better than yelling at others through a bullhorn too.

-marko

 
At Saturday, September 02, 2006 , Blogger chuck said...

I wrote a long comment on your BORN UNDER A BEAD SIGN blog, but it refused to post.

Anyway, your art WORK in BEADS is both moving and IMPRESSIVE!

 
At Saturday, September 02, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

Wow. I had a point! I was sure there was one in there somewhere, Marko, but the nachos were poisoning my brain. And thanks, ever so much, darling, for clarifying the workings of the art world. It seemed a pretty accurate description. As for my phone, STUPID Bell Aliant - it rang 3 times at my end, and I ran in time to see "long distance" on the digital readout - and lose the call. The message didn't register until some time after that. Sorry, Babes.

Chuck - BeadBabe emailed me the same message about comments. I don't know if it's an Alpha/Beta
blog problem or just another Blogger hickup, period. But thank you so much for the comment and liking the work. I hope some of you folks move to Beta before Alpha completely bogs. It's even easier to set up than the first version - and there are more choices for we techno boobs on what to include on the page.

 
At Saturday, September 02, 2006 , Blogger Mary said...

How not to shop at Walmart (or its equivalent) when you are on a limited budget? The ethical question I get tangled up in all the time. And I think Marko's answer is a good one. Important too not to hate oneself for not being ethically "clean" all the time. We're only doing the best we can. And I suspect you do better than most.

Glad you've got some time off. Thanks for the link :-)

Off to the bead page - I keep forgetting to go so the reminder is a good one.

 
At Sunday, September 03, 2006 , Blogger Mella said...

Wal-mart is the ethical dilemma that my husband and I face often - but we're more often than not knocked down from our pedestals of ethical righteousness by their smiley faces, peddling their rollback, pricing.

Let's face it, I'd love to buy diapers and baby wipes and bibs from mom 'n pop shops, but really, at the rate that my son goes through these essentials, we'd be working two jobs a piece just to keep his bum covered and dry.

And so, to Wal-mart we go

 
At Monday, September 04, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

Mary, I agree, Marko's got it about right. We do what we can.
Melanie...That comment raised a grin.
Maybe the child needs more cheese in his diet? Laughing.

 
At Monday, September 04, 2006 , Blogger Jess D'Zerts said...

Laughin' at that cheesy crack, LJ, and thanks to Mary for the comment about not hating oneself for not being perfectly PC all the time.

Huh. Word verification for this comment is "depumbo." How pronouncable is that, eh? I'm sure it's an actual new word, a comment by the Universe pertaining to your post, LJ, which I had to reread to see exactly what the Universe might be referring to. Maybe the loss of skills? As in, the depumbo generation? Or is it "depumbo, n, outrageous international wage imbalance."

 
At Monday, September 04, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

Jess, I wonder if we might not start using word verification to write poems, or insert them, as you have above, in all seriousness...(let people think we have huge vocabularies)...at least we should be collecting them because some of them (the readable ones)are pretty funny.

Until we meet again, frhduwdi!

 
At Tuesday, September 05, 2006 , Blogger Unknown said...

Nothing to say really, but the word verification on this one is: "sbfhoe". I won't even go into what I think it means!

 
At Tuesday, September 05, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

It's probably an answer to lvsmht?

 
At Friday, September 08, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful bracelet here LJ!

My sister, too, loves to bead. She is an artist much like yourself and has the talent and patience to create these wonderful pieces.

Though she does buy things from WalMart, it cannot even compare to the things she creates. Most people can see the difference in quality. She has a good base of loyal customers. I am sure that you could develop one.

I have not been to the bead work site yet but will make my way over there shortly. If they are anything like the pieces that you show on here from time to time, I cannot imagine you not having people fighting over them!

I have faith in you LJ. I am sure that you can accomplish whatever you put your mind too. If you want to sell your creations, you can do it. There is always a way.

I am off to the bead site now.

Take care :)

Hugs, Jamie

 
At Saturday, September 09, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

Thanks for the visit, Jamie. I know it's a busy time.
I'm doing a lot of preparation and design work now and not worrying too much about selling at the moment.
But come the time, I do hope you're right about people!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home