Thursday, September 07, 2006

"Decline and Fall"

I don't indulge in political commentary. Usually.

Why? Because honestly, at the sound of George W. Bush's or Stephen Harper's voice, I fling myself at the radio to shut it off. Because I can almost feel my blood pressure rising with every syllable. Do I disagree with every single policy of these leaders? No. Many of their policies, but not all.

What I loathe is their arrogance and/or duplicity. Their belief that it is their right to lie openly and then to be praised for their motives when they admit it - or their belief that, once elected, they can do as they damn well please and don't owe an explanation.

Front page of The Globe & Mail, Top Story:

"U.S. President George W. Bush admitted for the first time today that the CIA has been operating clandestine prisons....After his administration spent months refusing to confirm the existence of the widely criticized 'black sites.'...

and further along in the same piece...

"Critics are also leery of a section of the proposed law (new rules for military commissions) that would exempt civilian interrogators of terrorist prisoners from being being subject to the U.S. War Crimes Act for abuses they may commit."

Well. Can't live with the Geneva Convention and can't give the appearance of overlooking it? Hire a sadist. As long as the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, I always say.

And lest my American friends think I'm only pissed at their politicians, this was The Globe's political cartoon of the day...

Prime Minister Harper stands at his office window, hands clasped peacefully behind his back, gazing outside. A telephone/answering machine sits where it's been dumped, at the bottom of a fish tank, with its message playing in a cartoon bubble above the tank:
"Hello, you have reached the 'Stephen Harper, Public Feedback Hotline.' Your call is important to us..."

Good ol' Steve. Canned a progressive, desperately needed national daycare program, lowered the amount of basic tax exemption (after cutting a massive 1% off Goods & Services Tax), killed Kyoto Accord. Most memorable photo op? Harper shaking hands with his seven year old son, as he sees him off to school. What warmth. Eyes like Night of the Living Dead. His handlers keep him away from the media in droves.

The difference between GWB and Stephen Harper, as far as I can see, is that GWB is determined to appear as honest, upright and a defender of All That Is Right. Harper doesn't give a flying f-ck what any of us think of his policies. With the possible exception of George W. Bush. He's all buddy-buddy with Bush.

To quote Louise (in Thelma & Louise) - "You get what you settle for." But please, I'd like to know, where are the alternatives? A Canadian joke -
"What do you call the NDP once they are elected?Answer: Liberals."
You could revise it into American form, I expect.
What do you call the Democrats once they are elected? Republicans.

Turn it around any way you like.

There is something suspicious (to me) about people who aspire to political power. A handful may actually mean to do good. Then, of course, there's the question of who gets to decide the "good." Maybe one percent of those noble souls don't fall to wheeling and dealing corruptly once they get power. But that one percent is, apparently, dead.

I don't want to feel this jaded. I would love to step up to the voting booth, feeling like - at last, an honest man, an honest woman. At last, with this vote, I'm not settling.

But I don't expect it to happen soon.

And I keep coming back to a section of Alden Nowlan's poem, "Decline and Fall":

...How may of his
contemporaries knew
Caligula was insane,
or Nero, or Tiberius?
Their courtiers must
have known. Others
must have at least
suspected. But no doubt
there were many who
said, You know, I believe
the emperor is crazy,
said it without being
altogether convinced
of it as I'm saying
it even now.
The evidence is there
but the mind cannot
bring itself
wholly to believe in
a dynasty of mad men.

Other than that, folks, it's a beautiful day. The ducks have finally returned to the creek at Mac Run after the Digging For Sewers Episode that screwed the entire water system up. I note there is a second, newly dumped shopping cart resting in the shallows but the ducks don't seem to care.

It occurs to me that ducks are a superior species to humans. Not a George W. Duck amongst them. And Stephen Duck would never have reneged on commitment to the Kyoto Accord.

7 Comments:

At Thursday, September 07, 2006 , Blogger Jess D'Zerts said...

With Bush, you don't even have to have the volume turned up to know he's lying--body language and the shifty look on his face says it all. I can't believe this man ever got elected. In fact, I don't believe it, I think both of those elections were stolen. OMG, don't get me started!!

 
At Friday, September 08, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo hhb here...............oh every word could be Australian politics.

'The desire to become a politician should immediatly preclude one from accessing that position'.

Who said that? Whoever it was got it bloody right mate!

 
At Friday, September 08, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

See now, Jess? That's another reason I don't usually talk about this stuff...the don't-get-me-started problem. I end up foaming at the mouth - I make inspired speechs that would convince absolutely anyone who agreed with me already. Which is of little use, you'll have to admit.

And oh helllll, Herhimnbryn! I like to think someone's politicians aren't insane, somewhere. Pop. Pop. Sound of illusions bursting.

I've seen the quote attributed to Ambrose Bierce ("The Devil's Dictionary). Couldn't find it but found this:
"Politics, n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage"
See:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ambrose_Bierce
(external links provided) He's fantastic!

 
At Friday, September 08, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

jess, I couldn't agree with you more!
(beadbabe here...)

 
At Saturday, September 09, 2006 , Blogger Cate said...

My mother, the professional political strategist, claims that people often go into politics to actually make things better but the system they have to go through to be elected makes criminal out of them. Sausage, laws and politicos... you really don't want to see how they are made.

 
At Saturday, September 09, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

Guffaw, KD!

 
At Saturday, September 09, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

I'm posting this email comment from Zhoen...who STILL can't get through. They say they're working on it Zhoen.

"It's me Zhoen. Went back one more time, and my non comment comment DID get through. Wanted to send you the page with the error message, but now that won't come up. Typical.

I can't listen to the politicians either. Douglas Adams wrote that anyone who wants to rule should under no circumstances be allowed to do so. I also think about Secret Pilgrim, John Le Carre. The last chapter is about a corrupt bureaucrat put in place under a corrupt administration who still, years later, has his fingers in the pot. And is largely untouchable, still leeching off the public purse. That gives me nightmares."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home