Saturday, September 09, 2006

In which she lies to herself, yet again.



I've been unfaithful to the Hindenburg. I've dumped the week's stress over at Yottabite, where most of the inhabitants are familiar with my place of employment and understand that ranting and raving like a lunatic after the first week of school is the only sane response to the whole mess. (I am still waiting for a massive show of support on that account, in case any of them can get their noses out of their beer.)

It's 9:26 p.m. In my kitchen sink, there are dishes afloat in cold, greasy water. There are rings on the counter, and blobs of butter, sprinkles of salt. I am soon going to have to stomp the garbage down with my foot if I don't haul it - and my lazy ass - down to the dumpster. It's not that I haven't done anything today. I've been imaginary shopping all day and I'm worn right out.

I must have asked Fire Mountain Gems for a free catalogue because otherwise they wouldn't have my address. It was during a beading black out, I think. Because why, why would an addicted beader want a full color, 530 page catalogue featuring nearly everything a craftswoman could ever lust for, at wholesale prices.

I get up at 7:30 this morning and settle on the couch with my cup of coffee. I'm just going to look at the catalogue for a little while because Weedy is picking me up to run and get my new computer at 10:00.
The phone rings. Well. It doesn't precisely ring. It plays the least annoying tinny ring-tone I could find.
"What time is it?" I shout graciously into the receiver.
"10:15. Are you ready to go?" Ready? Ready? It's WHAT-fifteen?
It can't be. I just sat down. The catalogue is open at fire-polished crystals, page 255. I have a vague recollection of closely studying vermeil clasps and crimp beads. My coffee is gone.
I am still in my robe and I haven't washed or brushed my teeth. Shit. Shit.

Let's survey the results of the day calmly here. Dishes dirty - check. New CPU in box right where I set it down by front door - check. Flash drives still in their little packages - check. (Therefore) nothing transferred from this computer in preparation for the switchover - check. Bank balance not checked - check. Studio not cleaned up - check. Meals not eaten - check. Behind on all necessary tasks - check.

Earlier this evening, I did put the catalogue down. And started on the internet. I found the best frosted acrylic bracelet stands. Like stretched out S's...elegant and simple...and inexpensive. Well, I had to see what else they had, didn't I?

But I'm ok. It's 9:47 now, and after I calculate the cost of buying 1200 4mm cobalt blue crystals, and a few little items I need to go with them, plus exchange, shipping, customs, and tax charges, I'll stop. Just one more page for the road, ok?

Give me those keys back right now.

8 Comments:

At Sunday, September 10, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sound like a perfect day to me lj.
Go with the flow!

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ps that was me hhb!

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

Hi Hhb. There was no other choice but to go with the flow. I could not motivate myself for love nor money.
Today (Sunday)I am a little ball of ambition, though! It's 10:09 and I'm whipping around like a tornado on feet!

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like fire mountain, you'll love shipwreck beads AND they're having a huge, huge fire polished crystals sale!

(how's that for enabeling!)

p.s. this is the beadbabe and so far I'm NOT liking this new blogger at all! why, why won't the comment box expand? does anyone know?

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006 , Blogger LJ said...

BB! I thought you were my friend...you, you...ENABLER YOU.

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hhb (again) having just re-read your piece, I now realise where i got the inspiration for my Sunday post. Your thoughts and words must have been bubbling away in the back of my hungover brain!
Thanks lj.am going to ammend my post now ( if Blogger will,let me in).

 
At Sunday, September 10, 2006 , Blogger chuck said...

AUTUMN DAYS:

THIS IS THE BEST TIME TO STRESS, TO SPIN GEARS, TO FEEL OVERWHELMED-I THINK THESE ARE A FEW OF THE FEELINGS THAT ENDEAR FALL TO ME!

IT CERTAINLY BEATS "CALM, CENTERED, CONTENTMENT"!

GIVE ME PERSONAL ANXT ANY DAY!

 
At Monday, September 11, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And WHAT would be the problem with that perfect morning, hm? Many's the blissfully wasted hour I've spent with bead catalogs. Yum.

phlegmfatale

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home